Wednesday 25 June 2008

Motivation and purpose 2


2. True climbing purpose.

....continued. Is working "hard" projects for me?? It has an appeal as something different and something fresh, but is it true to me, is it where my deepest inspirations lie??

The answer: I think not. I won't dismiss it, as I like trying new aspects of climbing (within limits of common sense of course....headpointing?? *spits* - no way!). After doing very well with trad in the last couple of years, I always intended to focus more on bouldering, sport, and DWS. And seriously working projects is just an extension of that. So I'm likely to do it to some degree, but I doubt it will be much of a focus for me. Maybe in the distant future when I'm an old man and truly run out of trad and time and being able to afford fuel...

So what is the answer?? What is my climbing purpose?? I've had a good and successful focus in the last few years with trad, but that was mostly in the "see what I can do" and "finally reach the potential I've been striving for for years" vein. There must be more to it than that, something more....wide-reaching??

And there is. My true climbing purpose, and, as far as I can currently tell, my only real, driving ambition in life is:

Explore - travel to new and different places to climb in them.

This is something I realised after getting back from a South Africa climbing trip a few years back, and it still holds true today. A purpose that encompasses everything I'm inspired by with climbing: different rock types, different venues, beautiful lines, choice of routes and venues, variety in styles (this goal encompasses trad, sport, and bouldering), variety of aesthetics and situations, and absorption in being there doing something I love. It also encompasses seeing new cultures and new places, but with a focus too it rather than in an arbitrary touristy sort of way (and, as much of a comfort-zone dweller as I am, I DO like visiting new places abroad). And, too, it encompasses being with friends and companions, because often that's how trips away work, you do them with people you like and trust rather than climbing strangers.

I think being able to do that, and doing it, is all I really want in life. Even just travelling to new climbing areas in this country is important, as well as abroad.

As for the concept of working projects, well, like the concept of travelling to boulder or sport climb at least, it got put on hold, because then I, of course, I got injured....

No comments: