Thursday 31 July 2008

Climbing 2008 Plan B



Link:

THIS IS MY NEW CLIMBING TICKLIST FOR 2008 MILEAGE / INJURY RECOVERY

Read it and vicariously despair at the low ambitions and the minor crags I'm scruttling around at, then get in touch and email me and arrange to go out climbing (subject to weather of course) - fiendophobia [at] googlemail [dot] com

Feel free to suggest areas and crags I should add to this (in comments maybe). As long as it's somewhere inspiring (doesn't have to be a mundane honeypot tho), good choices around HVS-E2, not too much of a mission to get to, and most importantly that I haven't done loads at already (which covers most of the Peak and many crags elsewhere).

The Plan ("B", you may have noticed) is: trad mileage, choice of routes, keeping my hand in, not re-injuring my elbow, keeping familiar with trad skills, doing easier routes in good style. In general, preparing for progression when my fitness eventually allows it.

I've realised I have much to learn and put into practise in this challenging period of my climbing career... Usually I climb for pure inspiration and desire, not as a means to an end, and definitely not climbing for the sake of it, but climbing routes that I just really want to do. Climbing less-inspiring routes as part of a practise/recovery plan is something I struggle with, unless it's in an amazing area with lots of choice of easier but inspiring routes (i.e. not really England and Wales). With less inspiration I have less interest, less pleasure, and less determination. So the challenge is to summon those up and to make the best use of this time and the best use of the routes I'm now restricted to....for the greater good ;)

No comments: