Wednesday 30 July 2008

I went climbing...


...last week. Woohoo. Yeah. In the Wye Valley where I've scarcely visited before.

So would you like to hear a happy tale of escaping the heat in wooded vales, of plentiful choice of mid-grade routes, of getting some good mileage in at new venues, of having a reasonable buffer of confidence from earlier in the year, of relishing being back on the rock again, of being able to climb okay on my elbow after several weeks of rest....??

Hmmmm.

Well I did a few pleasant routes, and I enjoyed what climbing I did, that much is true. But... It was stinkingly hot, proper sweat-dripping muggy. The area wasn't as inspiring as I'd hoped, especially at bimbly levels. I felt rustier than a very rusty thing and correspondingly deficient in confidence. And....my elbow was still tender, even on easy stuff, so I didn't feel I could start progressing again...

Hell, at one point I struggled and rested on an E1. E1 I tell you!! If I can't even climb something that is really just a descent route, what is the point!!!!

*strops* *stamps feet* *etc etc*

However, the general debacle has made me realise that I need a Cunning Plan. So I'm coming up with one and posting it soon.

2 comments:

Mouse said...

Does the cunning plan involve lots of running?

Fiend said...

No...!

It might involve going to B&Q and buying mousetraps though.