Wednesday 23 September 2009

Good morning Cadair!


I just love opening the tent door and seeing this...


...well, who wouldn't ;). This is from one of my favourite campsites, in Dolgellau. I've forgotten the name of it (doh) but it's mostly a caravan park with one wonky field for tents - and invariably quiet, with good showers and great views. It's also my favourite because it's central to Mid-Wales climbing, sandwiched between the Rhinnogs to the North, Arennig Fawr to the North East, Y Aran to the East, and of course Cadair Idris to the South. I know when I'm waking up here to a view like that I'm in for a great day of exploration, good climbing on great rock, hidden gems, and a wondrous solitude that's worlds away from the traffic and queues of the Pass... In between the waking and climbing, there's also a surprisingly great cafe in Dolgellau, again I forget the name, but it's the old ironmongers anyway.

This last weekend was no exception - although the walk-in to Craig Y Merched was desperately hard on my legs on the last slope, climbing there in glorious autumn sunshine, with a breeze rustling through the conifers and dragonflies flitting around, on the delightful Rhinnog grit, was as much a treat as anything in the area. Craig Rhiwarth the previous day was also fairly good and interestingly different.

Funnily enough, as much as I like the view of Cadair, I've never been up there, not for climbing nor walking. The closest is an abortive walk halfway to Crywfy before retreating in constant drizzle. Even my main inspirations in the area aren't on the mountain itself, but rather the outliers of Craig Y Llam and Craig Y Aderyn. This time I decided at some point that must change and I must embrace the mountain, climb on it, and look at my tent from the summit for the first time. Once I'm fitter for walking, and once I've polished off my climbing ticks in the area, I will try to have a full weekend or longer just climbing on Cadair itself. I'm looking forward to it already...

1 comment:

Butters said...

Would look even better out of the back of pROJECT mAYHEM I reckon. Good to see you are still getting out and about anyway