Monday 15 February 2010

Fitness shitness...


A big deal for me at the moment for obvious reasons. I've been thinking about my climbing and general physical activity plans and progression at the moment, and fitness - or the lack thereof, in fact not only the lack thereof but the seeming inability to regain any - plays a big role.

Not least because I've got to get up to Sron Na Ciche Eastern Buttress, Stac Pollaidh, Beinn Eighe Far East Wall, Bonaid Dhonn, Garbh Bheinn, Aonach Dubh, and The Cobbler (and maybe some of that Ben Nevis and Cairngorm granite nonsense too) somehow.

Hmmm.

Walking 20 minutes uphill (40+ minutes for me including rests) recently was murderous and little improvement over previous months. Walking 2 hours (5 for me?) is hard to imagine.

For many years I've stuck to roadside outcrops through choice and personal preference. Now I have to stick to them through necessity. But although there's hundreds of inspiring places to explore like that in Scotland, I don't want to be restricted to that, and to be clear, I don't want to be permanently crippled.

I'm going to see the vascular surgeon tomorrow. In an ideal world it would go like this:

Mais oui Monsieur Fiend! Now that the clots should have fully dissipated, we have this new exercise regime that will get you back to full fitness in a few months...

Oh bien sur, we can operate and drill out that stupid spasticated IVC in your chest and replace it with a piece of vein that actually works, pas du problem...

I doubt that's going to happen though :S. But I do really need to find out how things can proceed and progress from here.

3 comments:

Butters said...

Best of luck with that mate - put the minor shoulder\back injury I inflicted on myself bouldering at Almscliffe into perspective.

Unknown said...

Is your Dr French?

Fiend said...

Errr, lol, no. Manchester actually. Looks quite a lot like Peter Jones from Dragon's Den (which I only ever watched because I had a businesswoman friend who was addicted to it).

But in my mind he was offering me all sorts of medical options in the style of a French waiter. In reality, nothing of the sort. More news, soon.